11:10 AM

Attorneys for former Missouri Speaker of the House Rod Jetton have file a motion for a new judge in the case related to his alleged involvement in a November sex scandal.

Jetton, who did not appear at today's hearing, was charged last month with second degree assault for allegedly choking and beating a woman at her Sikeston home during a sexual encounter.

The victim told Detective Bethany McDermott that Jetton showed up at her apartment with two bottles of wine. She says that after Jetton poured her a glass she began to drift in and out of consciousness. The woman says, as she was fading in and out of consciousness that night, she and Jetton agreed on a safe word of "green balloons" to use to stop sexual relations.

The woman told the detective, that before she passed out , she "recalls Mr. Jetton hitting her on the face very hard, and when she woke up on the floor Mr. Jetton was choking her."

The woman told cops that when she woke up, "Mr. Jetton was behind her having intercourse in the bedroom. The woman told McDermott that her memory was hazy but that Mr. Jetton stayed the night and when he woke up he gave her a kiss and said, "'you should have said green balloons."

The Sikeston Police Department says that wine bottles and glasses were taken as evidence from the woman's home along with bedding and swabs from the couch and a chair. That evidence has been sent to the state crime lab to be analysed. Those tests could take up to three months to come back.

Scott County Circuit Clerk Christy Hency says, "Mr. Jetton did not appear in court this morning with his attorney Mr. Wilson. Wilson did enter a formal written plea of not guilty and filed a motion for a change of judge on behalf of Mr. Jetton."

Hency says that the case will now move on to Presiding Judge David Dolan who will assign a new judge to hear the case.

Jetton, who worked as a political consultant at his business Rod Jetton & Associates in Jefferson City, has shuttered that business following allegations of the assault. His attorney, Stephen Wilson, says that Jetton left politics, "to deal with false allegations and spend time with his family."

No new court date has been scheduled for Jetton's reappearance or preliminary hearing yet.