4:21 PM
1

Christian County Prosecutor Ron Cleek formally charged Nixa mayor, Brian Hayes, with misdemeanor driving while intoxicated charges this afternoon.

Hayes was pulled over by a Nixa police officer about 1 a.m. on Sunday on Hwy. 160 on the south side of the city. Police chief James Bacon said officers contacted him at home and informed him they had contacted the Missouri Highway Patrol for assistance in Hayes' arrest, to avoid a conflict of interest.
Hayes was released to a sober driver after he was booked into the Christian County jail.

Hayes issued a news release at the same time that formal charges were being filed against him. In the statement he says, "I regret the embarrassment and pain this has caused to the City of Nixa as well as my family and those close to me."

"I made a very poor decision to drive and put myself in this position. Due to my own poor decision I will be judged and scrutinized, all of which I deserve, but the City of Nixa does not."

Hayes is scheduled to be arraigned in Associate Circuit Court in Christian County on July 21st.


The following is the news release:

"Early Sunday morning I was stopped by the Nixa police and ticketed by the Missouri Highway Patrol for driving while intoxicated. I am deeply sorry and regret the embarrassment and pain this has caused to the City of Nixa as well as my family and those close to me.

"I made a very poor decision to drive and put myself in this position. Due to my own poor decision I will be judged and scrutinized, all of which I deserve, but the City of Nixa does not.

"My biggest regret is the harm this will cause to the City of Nixa, a community I love and have served for almost ten years. I know that with all of the recent stories and pain that we have been through as a community, this could not have happened at a worse time.

"I want to comment the Nixa Police Department for handling a tough situation in a professional manner. They followed the proper procedure and protocol to ensure no partiality or preferential treatment was given to me or my position as mayor.

"What I regret and am sorry for the most is that this incident will shine a light on one man's poor decision and not the positive aspects of our community. At a time when we should be focused on keeping our economy alive, regaining our construction industry, promoting retail growth, and many other community issues, we will be focused on my poor decision.

"I pray that we will stay focused on the issues that matter to the citizens the most. My term as mayor will be over in April; the important issues that we need to deal with will be there much longer than that.

"My hope is that something positive will come from this. I hope that people will see what I am going through and think twice about making the decision to drive. If my mistake keeps one person from getting behind the wheel and hurting someone or themselves, then my embarrassment and pain will have been worth it."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no respect whatsoever for the comments my by our Mayor. He may talk about "the bigger issues" but it does not get any bigger than the leaders in our community breaking the law. How our law enforcement must feel--when such prominent citizens such as a school Principal, and Our Mayor, have such disregard for the community they have sworn to serve. There are no other statements I wish to hear except for "I RESIGN". If not, I would hope that our Board of Alderman will demand it! Nixa is a city of Integrity, and I commend our Police Department. Job Well Done!

Followers