0
-



It was a malfunctioning furnace that sent firefighters to 1325 Meadow View in Galena about 8 p.m. on November 27th.

Eric Nielsen, the public information officer for the Southern Stone County Fire Protection District, says dispatchers were alerted by the activation of a carbon monoxide detector connected to an alarm system inside the home. The owners of the newly constructed home were out of town and gave firefighters a code to enter the house. When crews gained entry, they detected elevated levels of carbon monoxide.

"Crews mitigated the source, evacuated the air within the structure, and returned to service within an hour. This situation is a classic example for the importance to use detectors for both carbon monoxide and smoke," said Nielsen.


Nielsen says carbon monoxide alarms can be purchased at most home improvement stores. He says if the alarm is activated not to try to disable or stop the alarm, but to call the fire department immediately. "People shouldn't try to air it out on their own because deadly odorless, colorless fumes could remain in the house and put them and their family in danger. We will use detectors to make sure the home is safe to return to," he says.

0 comments:

Followers