4:14 PM
0
-
Nick Ibarra (mug shot GCSO)
-
Springfield Zone 1 Councilman Nick Ibarra has resigned from city council effective immediately after being charged last weekend with felony unlawful use of a weapon.

Ibarra, 32, who was elected to a four year term in 2009, represented northwest Springfield.

Ibarra was arrested and charged following a domestic disturbance at his home late Sunday (01-01-12) afternoon in which he allegedly pointed a loaded handgun at himself and at his wife....threatening to kill himself and his wife.

In Ibarra's resignation letter to Mayor Jim O'Neal he writes,  "I have come to the recognition that I am in no position to further procrastinate dealing with the issues of my personal life that are at the forefront, as well as with issues as an individual that I have merely tried to band-aid for many years now.  I want to address these issues; I need to address these issues; and I plan to address these issues.  At this time, to best serve the constituents, I believe it is necessary that I remove myself from my current duties and allow the council to find someone that is currently more capable than I am to fulfill the position of Zone 1 Councilman."  

According to court records, he had been drinking before his latest brush with the law. Alcohol was also allegedly involved in a "road rage" incident on Thanksgiving day in which two men were injured. That incident is still under investigation by the Missouri Highway Patrol.

It appears that current city council members will likely ask constituents in Zone 1 interested in serving the remainder of the two years left in Ibarra's term to submit applications and then interview those interested and vote amongst themselves to appoint one of the applicants.

0 comments:

Followers