0
-


A third infant in a month has become ill after being fed baby formula, according to health officials in Oklahoma.

The latest child to be infected with Cronobacter sakazakii from Tulsa County, as well as an Illinois child who was stricken with the rare bacteria and hospitalized in Missouri, are still recovering. Ten-day-old Avery Cornett, from Lebanon, died from the deadly bacteria.


Little Avery Cornett was just 10 days-old when he died


Enfamil Premium Newborn was pulled from store shelves by several national retailers last week following news of Cornett's death. On Christmas day Mead Johonson, the company that makes Enfamil, says internal test results showed no evidence of the bacteria in the same batch of product that is being evaluated by U.S. regulators.

The child affected in Oklahoma was NOT fed Enfamil, according to published reports.

The rod-shaped bacteria that killed Cornett has infected at least 120 infants worldwide since 1958, public-health researchers say. The potential for the bacteria to infect infants through powdered baby formula has only been known since the 1980s, according to Kieran Jordan, a microbiologist at the Moorepark Food Research Centre of Ireland’s Agriculture and Food Development Authority. Jordans says Cronobacter can grow in powdered formula because it is well adapted at surviving in very dry environments.

The CDC and local health officials in Lebanon are awaiting lab results from the powdered formula little Avery's parents used and the distilled water used to prepare it.

A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spokeswoman said it's not clear if the three cases are connected.

0 comments:

Followers